1.24.2015

Top 3 Movies

This was a request from my "little" brother. And it's a surprisingly hard one. It helps that I'm NOT allowing myself to pick mini-series or dramas. But I really have 4 and I'm having a really hard time narrowing it down to three. That seems to be happening with a lot of these top 3. I guess I should have waiting to do this till I turned 40!

1) While You Were Sleeping - Best Rom-Com ever. It's just great. I actually haven't watched this since my mom passed away. It was her movie. I remember the first time we watched it though. And there are so many quotes from it that became a part of our family culture growing up. I don't think we had a meal containing mashed potatoes at home without someone saying "these mashed potatoes are so creamy" and another chiming in to add "Mary mashed 'em." When I moved out, we started watching it at Thanksgiving. I tried to watch it this Thanksgiving but I wasn't ready. Maybe next year.

2) Much Ado About Nothing - Sign no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sign no so but let them go and be you blight and bonny, converting all yours sounds of woe into HEY NONNY NONNY! 

This was a high school favorite. My BFF and I watched it almost every day the summer I was 13. We could pretty much quote the whole thing and often did. When we'd want to go somewhere together, probably the bathroom because isn't that where all teen girls congregate together, we'd say "Lady, would you walkabout with your friend?" And we had nicknames for the boys we knew based on the characters. Attractive + Jerk = Don Jon, Not attractive + Jerk = Borachio (pronounced exactly the same way Dogberry/Michael Keaton did). I guess Attractive + Nice would have been Claudio, and Attractive + Funny would have been Benedict, but I don't remember using either of those. Maybe the boys around us were slim pickings? Ha! Man were we dorky but still, good memories. And still a good movie! Shakespeare is timeless!

3) Emma - Another favorite from high school. It's probably not the most accurately done version and I know some say that Gweneth Paltrow is a little too unlikeable as Emma but I adore her and this movie. It was one of my earliest introductions to Jane Austen and Emma is still my favorite of her books. Sadly, none of my current pets is named after an Emma character but that's really only because I've used most of the names up. I suppose I could have a old cat named Ms. Bates or maybe a really boring pet (bunny?) named Jane but I think we'll just have to leave it as complete with my past Cat named Mr. Knightley, dog named Emma and fish named Frank. But back to the movie, Craig and I watched/re-watched it recently and its still just as clever and funny as I remember it being.

Runner-Up: Return To Me. Similar in style to While You Were Sleeping. I love the extended casts of both. And the music in this one is a lot of fun.

3 comments :

  1. This is a fun post. I love all of your top 3 favorites too, but I've never even seen Return to Me. Maybe I need to look for it at the library?

    We just showed While You Were Sleeping to our older girls on New Year's Eve. The first thing they said, "WHY have we never watched this before?!" It really should be required watching before you interact with my family of origin. You never know when someone might say, "John Wayne was tall," or "You are born into a family, you do not join one like the marines!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was a reason we were friends. I love all these as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you've got to go see Return to Me. But push past the first 10 minutes or so. They are bad, just sad but I promise it is rom-com after that!

    ReplyDelete