12.26.2022

Classic Challenge: A Mid-summer night's dream

You can't go wrong with Shakespeare can you? Well, maybe you can. I read this at the beginning of the year but wasn't planning on having it count for this challenge because I thought I would finish Julius Caesar with the kids this fall. Well, we didn't quite get there. Once we got past Mark Antony's big speech in Act 3, we lost steam.  Turns out its not his best play and waiting for people to die isn't super exciting. 

So back to A Mid-summer Night's dream it is! I really do prefer the comedies. (Although Lucy and I really enjoyed MacBeth together last year and Hamlet is a favorite...but other than that, I'm a comedy gal). 

I've read this before but it had been a while and it felt new all over again. The kids love it and we've watched it together in stage form and read children's versions so I enjoyed reading it after having experienced it with them because I felt like I could descend to the bawdiness and lower level humor. Bottom is an ass...it's funny. 

I also really enjoyed going a bit deeper with the literary life podcast. I alwasys feel like reading something with them is the equivalent to reading it 4-5 times solo. I really hope they decide to do Much Ado about Nothing sometime. 

A Mid-summer night's dream is my pre-1800 Classic selection. 

No comments :

Post a Comment