12.13.2022

Classics Challenge: Six Easy Pieces

This isn't really where I thought I'd be going with the non-fiction category. I probably assumed I'd choose a biography or travel book. But I started doing a bit more pre-reading while I prep for Lucy's High School years and I read several science books and thoroughly enjoyed this one. It took me a while to figure out if it qualified because I couldn't find the original publication date. Most of the publication dates I found were after the author, Richard Feynman, had died so at least I knew they weren't quite right. But the book is based on the lectures he originally gave in 1960 and I finally found something that says they were compiled and published for the first time in 1963 which makes more sense so I'm going to go with that and say it works!

It's exactly what the title says. It's 6 lectures written down that talk about a variety of physics topics, some "easier" than others. I thought it was very interesting and I do think it would make an a great accompaniment to intro to physics because it shows how interesting and fun physics can be...if you just stick with the math for a a bit. I know some of it is out of date and some of it will be over a high schoolers head but exposure to the ideas and stating to get them thinking about what and why we care about this is important. Of course, I really like Physics overall so maybe I'm not the best judge. But I do think it will be getting added to Lucy's coursework in the near future. I'm curious to see what she thinks of it!

It also reminded me to read more science books. I clearly like the subject I just don't tend to think about science books much - probably because I read mostly based on recommendations and my literary friends don't recommend much in this genre. But I shall continue to scour the Charlotte Mason High School booklists I have access to and see what else I can find. 

Six Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman is my Back to the Classics Non-fiction Selection

No comments :

Post a Comment