12.13.2022

Classics Challenge: The Fellowship of the Ring

I have a lot of books on my to be read pile but this really does have to be one of the longest lasting ones. I first experienced The Hobbit when I was about 10 when my mom read it aloud to us and I listened to an old BBC audiobook version so many times as a tween. And then when my younger brother hit the same age, we listened to it together. It was our regular car book when we went to my dad's house when we lived separately in Korea. So why had I never read The Lord of the Rings?

I don't know. I did try to listen to the KayRay audiobook version a few years ago but didn't get past Tom Bombadil part. Kay Ray is one of our family's favorite audiobook narrators so it definitely wasn't her that was the issue nor did I hold it against the book itself. I just struggle with audiobooks  (I have since learned to listen to audiobooks at 2-2.5X speed which helps a lot. Everyone sounds like a chipmunk for a minute but then my brain adjusts and compensates and its glorious!) 

But this year I actually picked up an (e)book and read it with my eyes and made it through the first one. It was good, not my typical genre and I still get confused when Lucy starts rattling off names (which one is he again?) but definitely worth reading. I might try and read the second this year and see  I can keep the streak going. Lucy has read them all and Jonah and Norah are about 50% of the way through the series so by the time I finish, they probably will have too and we can all watch the movies and complain about what's different together. 

The Fellowship of the Ring is my Classic That's Been on my TBR list the longest selection. 

No comments :

Post a Comment