This will the the first season of 24 I have watched as it aired. I joined the craze late, and have watched all previous seasons on DVD. I will also have MacKenzie watching with me (awww!).
We know going into the new season that:
- The creator of 24, Joel Surnow, is no longer involved in the show.
- CTU, the agency Jack Bauer et. al worked for, has been disbanded.
- In the mini-episode that aired in November, Redemption, Jack agreed to answer a subpoena from Congress (to answer for his torturous deeds) in exchange for getting a bunch of African kids admitted to the US to keep them from being forced into war.
- We have a lady president now (just in time for Hillary's inauguration- oh, wait).
- Tony Almeida, former high-up in CTU who died in Season 5, is no longer dead, and he's a bad guy. People coming back to life, and good people turning bad, are recurring themes on 24.
- Jack will be working with the FBI as the season starts (part of the agency's hiring blitz?).
- Dumb women. Not to be sexist or anything, but we frequently see women on the show doing dumb things, which often put them in danger.
- Inappropriate romances, especially of the supervisor/subordinate type. Recall in Season 3 that Tony gave in to terrorist demands after they captured his coworker/lover.
- Jack's emotional angst over the torture he has inflicted, the things he has seen, and the loved ones he has lost/been estranged from occasionally bubbles to the surface.
Should be a fun season.