2.14.2010

Olympic Observations

1. I really wish Canada would win a gold medal, because I'm sick of hearing on NBC about how they've never won one "on their home soil." Sports journalists really sink their teeth into a story and shake it around like a rat terrier, don't they? Plus, they should say "home ice" or "home snow" instead of "home soil." These are the Winter Olympics we're talking about right now, although I realize the no golds thing refers to both the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal and the 1988 Winter Games in Calgary.

2. I don't like how figure skating is the marquee event of the Winter Olympics. First of all, it's a judged sport, making it inherently inferior to real sports. Second, it's boring. I blame women for its popularity; women also make gymnastics the big sport at the Summer Games and make Democrats win elections (PDF). Boo!

3. Curling starts Tuesday! Curling is my favorite winter sport. In the past, I've had to bum other people's cable TV in order to watch it, but now it will be online. Awesome.

3 comments :

  1. Yeah, you're right, we should go back to the good old days when women didn't get to vote at all. Come to think of it, disqualifying non-property owners would be even better for the RNC.

    Less sarcastically, I agree with your first point. I got so sick of Matt Lauer and Bob Costas (who have practically identical voices, a strike against them as a team) telling me ALL THE COUNTRIES that have NEVER WON A WINTER OLYMPIC MEDAL. Has anybody won Winter Olympic medals besides Apolo Ohno?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey you got your first wish! Oh and speed skating and the nordic race is far more exciting than the figure skating, but you have to admit that figure skating is pretty incredible what those people are capable of doing...and wearing (germany!)

    ReplyDelete