2.25.2010

My splurge that wasn't and a Thank You!

Craig and I are really working on keeping the baby stuff we buy to a minimum. Even most of the "must haves" we aren't planning on getting. Most of the time it is pretty easy as a lot of stuff just doesn't appeal to me. We went to Babies R Us on Saturday to use two $5 gift cards we had gotten from Facebook. I thought I didn't like the store on principal but was still a bit worried about getting sucked into it anyway. I didn't need to worry. It was the ultimate baby stuff-mart. While we did find a few things we needed like a baby first-aid kit complete with snot nose bulb nasal aspirator, the majority of things there just seemed ridiculous.

That isn't to say I don't sometimes get sucked into the baby gimmes. I do, believe me, it's just that my common sense normally stops me from giving into them since my tastes run towards the organic/natural stuff which is also tends to be ridiculously expensive stuff. No matter how adorable I think that little onesies at Cotton Babies are, one glance at the price tag turns all my desires for it into ridicule. Who in their right mind would pay $18 for a single newborn onesie? I don't care if it is made of organic bamboo. It had better be made of gold if they want me to spend that much on a article of clothing that will be worn for maybe a month and will spend it's life getting spit up and pooped on.

So we are sticking with mostly the basics. It's actually a good thing we are doing cloth diapers as there would only be 7-8 items on our baby registry without them.

But there was one item though that I really wanted - a co-sleeper. I knew a lot of co-sleeping moms make do just fine with a pack n' play next to their bed and I kept going back and forth between those options since it felt so silly to spend that money on a item with such a short lifespan. But I had been saving my swagbucks since I first started with the intention of getting one and since I had almost enough, I splurged! Except with my swagbucks, it was only $35 so it really wasn't much of a splurge. It came last weekend and we set it up. I lurve it! (And unfortunately so does Zeeba but that is another matter) I'd show you a picture but I'll wait for now since I'm sure it will be much cuter with a Nigel inside.

So if you signed up for swagbucks through my referral - Thank you! It would have been much more of a splurge without your help. And if you haven't signed up, what are you waiting for? Swagbucks are awesome!

*You may have noticed that I was going to get it at Target but the ratio of gift card $ to swagbucks is the best if you get $5 amazon gift cards. Just be sure to notice that you can only get 5 prizes a month (or $25 worth of $5 amazon gift cards). You can use as many gift cards as you want on one purchase on Amazon.com just be sure to give yourself enough time to redeem your points for cards. I didn't realize that originally and had to wait a few extra weeks to get the last few cards.

2 comments :

  1. Hey! I did the math on that too. I'm one swagbuck away from my first $5 gift card to Amazon. I was wondering how long you can keep a Amazon gift card? How long have you and Craig held onto them?

    Also, I totally share your opinion on organic bamboo oneies. However, they are usually so stinkin' cute. I'm reading a lot of craft blogs right now... trying to cheaply create those overpriced-can't-live-with-out baby items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea what a co-sleeper is, so I had to do a quick search and I gotta say... I can see why you wanted one! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete