2.19.2010

Owls, Owls, Everywhere

Nesting. They say that about the 5th month, the nesting instinct kicks in. For me, it started about a week or two before we moved, which was ridiculous as I couldn't do anything about it. But now that we are semi-settled in our new place, I can! So let's talk about my favorite room - the nursery. Except that it isn't a room, it's a nook. We have a two-bedroom place but the master is big enough for us and Nigel so we have decided to keep the spare bedroom available for all the people that will want to visit us the baby.

For the longest time, I couldn't decide what I wanted to do with the baby's space but then my friends threw me a surprise baby shower before we left. For party decorations, they used receiving blankets that I got to take home and one set was blue, green, and brown and had owls and some other animals on them. The colors were perfect (as in, my favorite color is blue, our bedroom is done in chocolate and blue and therefore boy or girl, Nigel gets a blue and chocolate room) and I absolutely fell in love with the idea of owls for the nursery.

I'm not going to go super-themey with the room mostly because I don't want to spend a lot of money on a lot of stuff - we finally fit nicely into the square footage we have and I don't want to lose that feeling! But I do want just enough decor to make it look put together. So I've been searching around for some owl stuff and apparently, owl is in right now because there is a lot out there. Whooo knew?

To me, this is practically nursery perfection.


Obviously, I'm not going to spend $500 on the custom painted mural but in terms of the look, the colors and the subtleness and variety of the theme (every single item is not covered in the same company's blue owl design), I love it.

I do want to get a stick-on tree for the wall although I haven't settled on which one. This one is currently my favorite,
although I've seen others for about $20-25 which are nice as well so I think I'll keep looking for a better deal. Here is just a branch with an owl from the same company, but it's cute too and only $18.

And these are just some things I stumbled upon on etsy while searching. I don't have a place for them nor are they quite the right colors but I had to show them to you anyway because, aren't they cute? They are all by the same person and she has a lot of pictures in her shop of owls fishing, and dancing and flying a plane.
I also have a little owl beanie baby from way back when I was younger and they were worth their weight in gold so that will go in there and I will probably crochet an owl amigurumi or make this cute little owl taggy toy. In fact, I think I have enough scraps to make that toy already! And when I get a glider or rocker I might make a pillow from it with an owly fabric. So those are the plans for now, I'll keep you posted as the design progresses! And be sure to send me links of any cute owl things you stumble upon. Once you start thinking owls, you will see them everywhere!

Update: Since writing that post, I found this tutorial. It would involve a little more artistic ability since I would have to drawn out the tree pattern myself but I think I can do it.

3 comments :

  1. I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

    ReplyDelete
  2. paint it yourself :D and quit leaking stuff, people will fount you

    ReplyDelete
  3. We get the weirdest spam.

    I understand trolls and comments with links of questionable origin so I delete them but others just leave me confused but amused. Those get to stay.

    ReplyDelete