4.12.2007

Pictures, Violinist and Silly Newspapers.

My pictures are still not back from the PX. I dropped them off last Wednesday so they should have been available for pick up last Friday but my mom checked yesterday and they still aren't here. And once she gets them, I still have to wait for them to come in the mail. I'm annoyed! I should have just taken them to Wal-mart here in town once I got back but the PX is cheaper and, even more importantly, the last couple of times I've gone to Wal-mart they have come back poorly developed while I always get excellent results from the PX. So maybe in the end it will be worth it, maybe.

But while I can't share any cool pictures of England with you, I can share a story. Technically it might be too short to be called a story, but I can't think of another good word. As we were going down an escalator to get on the tube one day, we almost ran right smack into a big, ugly, sweaty man without a shirt, playing a violin. He was really close the bottom of the escalator so it was kinda hard to avoid touching him but we did, thank goodness, for he was very gross. Anyway, it started us talking and we wondered what would happen if someone famous was playing? ( In our imaginary example, the famous guy part was played by Seal.) How would we respond to him? Would we even notice who it was or stop to listen?

Fast forward to today when I was reading a blog that mentioned an article by the Washington Post about violinist Joshua Bell playing in a Metro station in D.C. Read the article, it's interesting, albeit a tad bit wordy but remember this is the Washington Post. At first I thought, maybe this is a sign that I had what it takes to be a famous writer (or at least the guy who thinks up the ideas to write about) but then I rethought. I bet tons of people have thought the same thing but it wasn't until the idea hit someone who could do something with it that it stuck around for more than 30 seconds. Maybe I am not destined for journalistic greatness. Oh well, at least I have this blog.

Another journalistic thought:
Why do journalists/editors feel the need to write about themselves? I remember the Batt always doing a special about all the people who worked there and it was annoying but I didn't care too much because, well, it was the Batt and it would have been bad no matter what they wrote. But yesterday the local paper here felt the need to do the same thing. Why do they think we care??? People read the newspaper to gain information about current events, not because they are fascinated by the people who write for it. I kinda thought that would be obvious.

PS - Looking back over this post, I realize it is kinda whiny. If you still reading this, thanks for letting me vent. I feel much better now.

1 comment :

  1. I thought the article was kind of stuck up. "Oh, look at these low-class people who don't recognize good classical music." Of course, if they did the same thing with K-Fed and everyone flocked to him, I would express similar disdain for those people.

    ReplyDelete