4.23.2007

Hopefully I'm not the only one.

Have you ever suddenly realized that something you thought was one thing your entire life was, in fact, something completely different? If that doesn't make sense, maybe an example will help. Recently, I was reading the newspaper comics when I stumbled across one that made me re-examine my life. It was just one frame and pictured a guy in sitting up in bed. He was saying something like "I'm up, but I don't think I'm ready to be at'em yet." Don't think about it too hard - it wasn't funny. But suddenly, that expression made so much more sense. Hear I have been, for the last 20 or so years, telling people to get "Up and Adam." Now granted, if you compare Up and Adam with Up and At'em, obviously the latter makes much more sense. But I had though it was Adam for so long and never considered it being something else. On my side, there are a lot of other expressions that don't make any sense either, but if you look them up there is some long, weird story about how they originated. I guess I figured there was some guy named Adam who did something that led to his having his own colloquial idiom. Anyway, if you have had a similar experience, please share. Both so we can laugh at your expense and so that I don't feel like an idiot for being the only one who this happens to.

2 comments :

  1. I thought it was up and adam for the longest time too! there is a girl that thinks that the term "home made" is "home aid" but she's really dumb...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a pretty long time to realize that "it's always in the last place you look" is a joke.

    ReplyDelete