12.12.2007

Get a (Second) Life

At first, I was impressed when I learned that Rep. Ed Markey was going to address the UN Climate meeting via Second Life, an online hangout, rather than traveling to Bali. Although I am a global warming denier, I applauded his choice to forgo a trip to the tropical paradise in hopes of preventing lots of carbon emissions. More global-warming types should put their money where their mouth is, I thought. While I disagree with Markey, I supported his commitment to the cause.

But this article says the reason he is doing the Second Life thing is because he's involved in the congressional negotiations over the energy bill in Washington. So I'm not impressed anymore. But still, they could have had the whole conference in Second Life, and prevented a lot of the carbon emissions they claim to be worried about. But then they wouldn't have gotten a fancy vacation.

1 comment :

  1. I thought the best article of all was the one that came out of Bali saying that so many of the global warming treaty advocates attending the conference had flown their large private jets to Bali that they had run our of room on the runways, tarmacs, etc. Incidentally, Al Gore uses one of the worst emissions-producing and large private jets everywhere he goes, even when he is by himself. If you believe in a cause, then live the cause--don't just ask others to. In my mind, these folks are like someone from PITA telling everyone they should be vegetarians--all while chomping down on large steaks.

    ReplyDelete