12.11.2007

Baby Mama gift?

A couple days ago, I read this article about "push presents" (also known as a baby mama gift or a baby bauble). Supposedly, women are now demanding presents from their husbands as a payment reward for pushing a baby out of their womb. These women don't just want trinkets; they want gold, diamonds, and gemstones handed to them in the delivery room. Geez ladies, don't you think your kinda forgetting the big picture? The only thing I want handed to me in the delivery room is my BABY!

However, last Saturday when we at the local Hallmark store picking out the next addition to our Willow Tree nativity set, I took a moment to admire the rest of the oh-so-cute collection. When Craig walked over to see what I was looking at, I had to remind him that "aren't these so cute, and remember these, these are what you are going to get me every time we have a new baby." Hmmm?

Am I being hypocritical? Is it the same thing even though those ladies want really expensive jewelry and want it right away? Or is my desire for a pretty reminder of each child's birth sweet and not at all the same as those crazy ladies demanding payment because they had to carry the child for 9 months and not the husband?

4 comments :

  1. goodness! i've never heard of those! i think thats as weird as giving eachother a wedding gift, is the rest of my life devoted to you not enough!? now women expect more jewelry for doing what we're created to do! soon people will demand a gift for getting up in the morning!

    I love those willow tree figurines! I dont think something like that as a momento (not that you'd forget child birth, but maybe something you pass down to the child that is represents) would be a big deal. I think that'd be kind of nice. but demanding expensive things, is silly! do they not realize how expensive the kid they just had is? insead of a diamond necklace, perhaps the start of a college fund if you've got that kind of cash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess it depends. I am an extremely gift oriented person. It is more about thought rather than monetary value for me.

    My first child with my husband Jon did not get me flowers, a card, nothing. zip. zero.

    I felt terrible. I didn't expect a gift, but flowers or a card would have been wonderful.

    With Matthew, he brought me an amazing gift. A gold snake chain with three bevel-set birthstones for each of our boys.

    It is one of my most prized possessions.

    My husband watched me vomit my guts out and be hospitalized for a combination of months to get our children here.

    He wanted to tell me thank you and he wanted to do it in a tangible way.

    Isn't that a better reason to give a gift like jewelery than a holiday like Valentines Day??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see both sides of the issue. I'm okay with a gift as long as it's an honest expression of gratitude, not a response to a sense of entitlement. I think the sentiment is much more important than the bling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want that willow tree nativity set so freaking bad!!!

    when i had my kids, i didn't expect gifts, but my (ex) husband brought me flowers both times. he thought moms deserved flowers.

    ReplyDelete