11.18.2010

Lucy's favorite things: Books

Christmas is fast approaching and I know many of you have little ones in your life, either your own or nieces, nephews and babysitees. I thought I would share with you some of Lucy's favorite things. In return though, you have to promise to share your favorite items too since I am always on the lookout for awesome baby things.

We'll start with books. I've been reading to Lucy since she was a newborn although it took a couple months before she knew what was going on. Now she likes it and it is amazingly easy to see which ones are her favorites. Some books she will sit on my lap but be squiggling and wiggling and looking around while other times she is glued to the page. Repetition is one of the biggest LLL (Lucy likeability level) factors so I have to like them enough to read and reread them too. The ones I've listed below are the ones that when I start to read them, she immediately grins as if to say "Hey, I know this one!" while not causing me curl up in a ball if I think about having to read them again.

The winners: Sandra Boyton Books.

I had never even heard of Sandra Boyton until we were given Moo, Baa, La La La. I'm not sure who gave it so us, but I'm guessing it was a mom. It currently resides in our car for emergency baby entertainment purposes but I've also picked up The Going to Bed Book and Horns to Toes and in between at book fairs. The pictures are colorful and fun but not too busy. There are just enough words to keep us both entertained but the pages moving quickly enough. With a great rhythm without being annoying like Dr. Seuss can tend to be, I think they would be a great stocking stuffer or baby shower gift add-on. I plan on getting more (But Not the Hippopotamus sounds especially promising).

Runner-up: A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson

This isn't the full version but a board book with 8 poems and vintage drawings and paintings to accompany them. Lucy likes it but it gets read mostly because it is my favorite - and I don't normally like poems. We read 2-3 every night as part of our bedtime routine. While we will probably get the full version later on, right now this is perfect because the 8 poems gives me enough variety while still allowing her to recognize them all. I had no idea when I got it for $1 at a book fair that it would be such a great addition to our library.

What about you? What books do you and your little ones enjoy?

8 comments :

  1. Andrew LOVED Horns to Toes, because we point to each of his body parts, too. He still likes it from time to time now.

    I liked But Not the Hippo, but he didn't.

    Going to Bed Book was also a hit.

    Now he loves Curious George, but only when he goes to the aquarium. I'm over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're big Sandra Boynton fans around here. Try "Barnyard Dance" on Lucy and see how she likes it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zuzu just discovered lift-the-flap books. It stresses me out because I know they are fragile, but I have to keep reminding myself that if something gets torn to shreds, I can just Goodwill it and move on.

    My favorite is Not the Hippo because the message hits home for me, but she just likes the rhythm and illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have The Read Aloud Handbook? I really enjoyed learning about the research on reading aloud and the lists of age-appropriate books in the back is a huge time saver!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AOB - I do that too, but I don't think Lucy gets my funny comments about how she doesn't have a tail.

    I'm already feeling sad that Lucy doesn't always like what I like. I love the Beatrix potter book we have but she is not a fan. I'm still holding out hope that she'll grows into it.

    Karen - I previews it at Amazon and it looks cute. Plus her new room is going to have a (subtle) farm theme so it will fit right in.

    H.A. - I don't have it but it sounds familiar so maybe my mom has it in one of the 9 boxes of curriculum/manipulatives she has stored for me in her basement. I think that will become a needed resource though. I think we will want to pre-read everything for both content and literary quality until she is older. Right now it is easy to pre-read a ton of options and pick out what we like (and don't - like the "Noah" board book that somehow leaves God completely out of the story!) but in 7-8 years, it could start eating up my time if I don't have some idea beforehand if it will pass or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found barnyard dance at paperbackswap.com and it's on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite Sandra Boynton book is "Barnyard Dance", too. So glad you found a copy!

    Other favorites for me have included: "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom", "Big Red Barn", the Little Blessings series, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", most books by Jan Brett, "Miss Spider's Tea Party" (in board book form only), "Guess How Much I Love You".....the list goes one. I've got another one for when they're older when you're ready for it.

    ReplyDelete