9.17.2008

Clock Confusion

In my new office, I have a cute little clock that was given to me as a "welcome gift" from a vendor I've been working with. Not only does it tell time, but it also has temperature and date info. It comes in very handy when my computer is running a program and refuses to tell me the time or if I want to know the temperature of my lab, not that the university gives me any sort of control over that, but it is nice to know.

It is a bit quirky though. I got it Monday and set the time and it worked great. Tuesday morning I come in and it is exactly two hours behind. So I reset it and before I go home I check it and see that it is still perfect in sync with my computer. Then this morning it is exactly two hours behind again! Why, little clock, are you acting this way? Do you think there are only 22 hours in a day? Or is some secret evil computer sending you signals at midnight telling you to resync yourself to a wrong time?

This time I have not reset it, and after a full day of clock confusion, I am going to leave it still set two hours behind just to see what it will do. Will it stay two hours behind or will it be four hours behind when I check it tomorrow morning? We shall see.

6 comments :

  1. This is the kind of thing that my type A personality can't stand! I may even consider staying up all night and watching it to see what the heck is going on!

    Report back your findings. It could be a conspiracy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about taking it home but I need a full 8 hours of sleep or I get cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it is a clock that synchronizes, it may be set on the wrong time zone, hence the 2-hour adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the stuff vendors give out is always really cheap. unless you buy something. and i was going to say what craig did - check the time zone. we have one of these clocks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turns out it was the secret evil computer sending it signals to reset to the wrong time zone but once I solved the mystery, it was quickly corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So...I was right. Thanks and gig 'em.

    ReplyDelete