9.10.2008

Does this tutu make my butt look big?

I mentioned the fact that we are fairly busy around here, but what are we busy doing? Well, I'm taking an fitness class. I like to be active but I hate to "exercise." In high school I did Tae Kwon Do, soccer and swim team (not all at the same time) and was overall pretty fit. Then I got to college and everyone else just went to the gym and runs on the treadmill or works out with weights. I tried that and found it very boring, so I stopped.

Then I started gaining weight, something that had never happened to me before. The freshman 5 15 20, had reared it's ugly head, helped by my dorm's location near the bad cafeteria, where the only edible things were grilled cheese sandwiches, yogurt, and rice crispy treats. Even the fruit was gross.

The next year I moved to a different dorm near the good cafeteria and started working out like everyone else. It worked. I lost the pounds. Then I lost my motivation, for good. I have never been able to consistently work out at a gym since. But I want to be healthy. So I take classes. Since I am a rule follower and don't like to skip, I actually go. I don't know why my mind can't get around the fact that it isn't school and they don't take attendance, but I like it.

Before I got married, I conned one of my friends into taking pilates with me. She was my maid of honor and I needed to have nice looking arms in my wedding dress so she was morally obligated to take the class with me. It was a lot of fun, if we got there early enough to pick out a good spot. A good spot was one behind the door. A bad spot was one in front of the large glass window facing the racquetball courts. There is nothing like doing awkward poses while wearing ugly clothing in front of an audience of college guys waiting for their time slot to motivate you to work harder.

This semester, Craig has a class Monday nights and intermural practice Wednesday nights so in an effort to see him more than one night a week, I decided to pick a M/W class. But there was only one option on M/W - Intro to Ballet.

I am clumsy and I can't really dance but Monday night, I did ballet and I had fun. It didn't seem like we did much but I was so tired afterwards. I guess all that "stomach in" and "butt under" stuff really works your core. Plus it is something different that I have never done before. Well, technically I have done ballet before but I was 7 and the only things I remember are that my teacher had really long fingernails and that we danced to New Kids On The Block at my rehearsal. Obviously, that was money well spent :-) Maybe this time it will stick with me.

3 comments :

  1. I have wanted to take ballet for so long! I hope you have a lot of fun with it! I didn't think yogurt was bad for you. I suppose since the cafeteria lumps it all in one bowl on ice, who knows what it actually is. It's probably not yoplait light...it's probably not yogurt...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I know it's still early in your marriage, but never, never ask if anything makes your butt look big. We women know it's just a rhetorical question, but men don't!

    ReplyDelete