9.15.2008

How we weathered the weekend

I had a three day weekend so I'm not sure why Monday seemed to come so soon, but it did. In an attempt to hold onto the weekend a bit longer, I'll give you a quick recap.

My brother was planning on coming in to town from Austin so Thursday when I found out they were closing the University, I gave him a call. He agreed that the storm probably wouldn't be too bad but we weren't sure about traffic so he quickly threw some stuff in the car and drove over. We spent Thursday night playing trivia and eating hot wings at BWW. And I could be all humble and leave it at that, but I won't. I want to brag - I won trivia! I don't think I have ever even beaten Craig before but this time not only did I beat him, and my brother (who is getting his pHd) but whoever else was there too. I think the only way that win could have been more impressive is if Rachel was there. And part of it was luck with the questions, and part of it was lucky guessing, but as Emma once asked "Have you never known the pleasure and triumph of a lucky guess?"

Friday we were supposed to be preparing for the big storm but I had already spent an hour buying milk at the grocery store so I was good. Instead we went to the Bush Library. I wasn't expecting much since I had already been a thousand times (give or take a few hundreds) but they had updated it and I had a good time. When it comes to museums, I am like a little kid - the more buttons I can push, the better. Then the boys went off to the shooting range while I was a party pooper. They made fun of me for not wanting to go but I did make a double batch of cookies while they were gone so really, where would they have been without me? Cookie-less, it would have been sad for them.

Saturday was a little rainy so after we risked life and limb to report the news to you, we stayed in and watched movies. We did venture out later to do a bit of shopping but not much was open.

Sunday was spent in our normal routine - church, lunch, nap/tv watching, and reading. My bro headed home to Austin and thus ended our crazy hurricane weekend.

It's crazy to think that just a little more than an hour south of here, so much damage was done. Speaking of which, I haven't heard from all my houston friends though so if you are my friend and typically reside in Houston, please at least shoot me an email so I know you are safe. Unless you don't have power, then I will forgive you for ignoring this.

1 comment :

  1. i thought of you guys...but then wondered if y'all are far enough inland that you were safe..

    ReplyDelete