1.30.2008

WFMW: Lent Help

Next week is a themed WFMW so I will share my Lent tip early. I love giving up something for Lent. If you have never done it, try it, you'll like it, except when you hate it. Because no matter what you choose to give up, God will use it to teach you something. And if you are anything like me, sometimes it will be a big struggle. But I find that having a specific Bible verse on hand to act as a little mantra really helps get past those tough times when I just want to cave.

This year, I am giving up worrying about the future by instead praising God for where he has put me right now. Whenever I have doubts and catch myself not letting go, I just say Matthew 6:34 in my head: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." I actually learned that verse in a song when I was little so I really sing it to myself.

A couple years ago I have up being sarcastic. That was one the of hardest Lents I have ever been through. And I failed miserably, but at least I caught myself and apologized to those around me. I don't think there is anything wrong about being sarcastic at certain moments, but it is easy to let that become the norm without even realizing it. An appropriate verse for those of you brave enough to try the no sarcasm thing: Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but harsh words stir up anger."

There are even good verses for those of you sticking with the more typical Lenten idea of giving up sweets. My favorite: Pr 25:16 If you find honey, eat just enough— too much of it, and you will vomit. It's hard to find room for dessert after that one.

But you can find your fill of tips with no fear of vomiting by heading over to Rocks in my Dryer for more WFMW.

1 comment :

  1. oooh...mackenzie.

    i wonder if i could give up sarcasm. hmmm...

    ReplyDelete