6.22.2008

Annoying noises?

Earlier this afternoon, I was sitting here with doing my Beth Moore study on Believing God when a noise started up in the kitchen. I like it to be quiet when I am studying so under normal circumstances I would have been annoyed, but not this time. This time, I just had a good laugh with God and it's so exciting, I am sharing it with you.

Let me go back a bit, Today's lesson was about George Muller. This guy was awesome. I had read a biography about him back in grade school, but didn't remember until I started reading about him today. He started the Scripture Knowledge Institute and built 5 homes for the orphans he cared for - all the while NEVER requesting financial help. If he had a need, he prayed and asked God to fulfill it.

Apparently, Psalms 81:10 was one of his favorite verses so we were instructed to read it along with its surround verses:

Psalms 81:10-16*
10 For it was I, the Lord your God,

who rescued you from the land of Egypt.
Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.

11 “But no, my people wouldn’t listen.
Israel did not want me around.
12 So I let them follow their own stubborn desires,
living according to their own ideas.
13 Oh, that my people would listen to me!
Oh, that Israel would follow me, walking in my paths!
14 How quickly I would then subdue their enemies!
How soon my hands would be upon their foes!
15 Those who hate the Lord would cringe before him;
they would be doomed forever.
16 But I would feed you with the finest wheat.
I would satisfy you with wild honey from the rock.

The bold parts are what stood out to me. You see, in my quest for health, my bread situation had been troubling me lately. I love Sara Lee Soft and Smooth bread but it had gotten really expensive so we switched to the cheap stuff from our local store. It was whole wheat, didn't have preservatives, tasted okay and was only $1 so it worked but it still had high fructose corn syrup and it was incredible tasty. But I didn't have the time to make it from scratch like I wanted so I resolved myself to making due and thanking God for providing a alternative to my old favorite. You may even remember a post I wrote on June 6th which talked about this bread.

But on June 7th (yep, that's the next day), something changed. Craig and I headed to the big 4 paws garage sale. We volunteered in the afternoon so it was pretty well picked over with the good stuff having been taken hours ago. But I did spot a bread machine over next to a big box of old magazines. The tag said $10. I though that was pretty good for a bread machine but Craig and I had already discussed how we weren't bringing anything home from the garage sale. We were there to sell stuff, not buy it. I also mentioned it to Craig who said we could buy it if I wanted but I said, no, we had an agreement. But still, I watched it, thinking that in the last 2 hours someone would surely want it. Nope, not even when we went down to the "anything you can fit in a bag for $1." So we started loading up the trucks and I thought that it was nice so it would probably be put in the truck with items going to the second garage sale later in the summer. Then the people in charge announced that they had finished searching for "good stuff" and the truck was full so everything else was to be loaded up and sent to the local thrift store. I looked at Craig and he snatched up my bread machine and donating it to us instead. So I got myself a great bread machine for FREE! Now I can make whole wheat bread, the way we like it, with just a touch of a button. Praise God! He provides for us, even in the little things, He provides. And isn't it amazing how He cares about all aspects of our life. We shouldn't be burdened down by any problem that we can give to God...and we can give all of our problems to God.

So when I read those scripture about God filling our mouths with good things, and feeding us with finest wheat [which I have to say I do believe is King Arthur :-) ] I just had to laugh. Oh, and that noise I was hearing...my bread machine. Well, my bread is done now so I think I will go have me a slice with some honey.




*Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2004. Used by permisions of Tyndale House Publications, Inc, Wheaton, Illinios 60189. All rights reserved.

1 comment :

  1. The taste of homemade bread! The noise that creates it shouldn't be annoying but music to your ears. Perspective is everything,isn't it!

    ReplyDelete