6.29.2008

Stay Away From Roller Coasters

When I saw the headline "Teen decapitated at theme park," I thought, "Oh no, not another one of these incidents. Maybe I should stay away from roller coasters (even though I don't really ride them that often at all)." The article listed this well-known incident:
In June, a girl's feet were cut off when a free-fall thrill ride malfunctioned at the Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom Amusement Park in Louisville, Kentucky.
But if you read the article, this decapitation was nothing like the foot decapitation:

The 17-year-old park visitor was killed after scaling two 6-foot fences around the Batman roller coaster, said a statement issued by park spokeswoman Hela Sheth. He was struck by the coaster and killed, she said.
That definitely changes things. I have no reason to fear roller coasters, because I don't scale fences that surround them. Unfortunately, the large number of people that read nothing but the headline of this story will come away with the wrong impression. Maybe the headline should have been "Trespasser decapitated at theme park." Or "Moron decapitated at theme park."

1 comment :

  1. I literally just read that article for the same reason. I feel badly though for the people that were on the ride...Hopefully they didn't see anything

    ReplyDelete