6.03.2008

It Beats Eating Dog

The US has recently been trying to get South Korea to open up to US beef imports. However, the South Koreans are kind of nutso about beef:
Protests this past weekend were the largest and most violent. As more than 40,000 people gathered in front of Seoul City Hall on Saturday night, police used water cannons to stop them from marching on the president's office. More than 220 people were arrested.
I only protest about beef when MacKenzie refuses to let me eat it. The South Koreans' protests are based on bizarre mistruths:
Rumors spread on the Internet that school lunch programs would be a dumping ground for cheap and potentially deadly American beef. Lee's government tried and largely failed to knock down the rumors and assorted alarmist media reports, one of which claimed Koreans were more genetically vulnerable to mad cow disease than Americans.
...
Cha Yoon-min, 13, attended the protest with his mother, a lawyer in Seoul. "I am afraid of American beef," he said. "I could study hard in school. I could get a good job and then I could eat beef and just die."
My sister is actually over there now, and she's blogging about her experiences. For firsthand eyewitness accounts of the beef controversy now taking place, read this and this. She has plenty of other interesting insights, too, like how South Korea is not a good place to be when you are a nerd.

3 comments :

  1. The other day at lunch I was eating with some teachers who brought up that they didn't like the Korean president because of the whole American beef issue. I said they my dad raises American beef, and that I'm just fine. Their reply was, "Does your family have the crazy disease?" I wanted to say yes, my family is all crazy so I decided to pack up and leave them and come to South Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, other than vegetarians, and I suppose cows, I didn't think anyone was so against eating beef!

    ReplyDelete