6.15.2009

Gone like a freight train

Well, A&M President Murano resigned. The official meeting should take place in about an hour, but she beat them to the punch when she announced her resignation yesterday.

A friend got the text when we were all out to lunch after church. I've been reading the headlines about what was going on but didn't really obsess over it. I liked Gates, he was great. I didn't like Murano, and nobody else really seemed to either. Now that she is gone, perhaps they will retract that stupid rule saying we have to keep our thermostats at 75 all summer to save energy.

The Batt was amusing this morning though, on the second page was a big picture of Mike McKinney and Elsa Murano hugging at the 2008 Convecation. This is the first and probably only time I will be able to say this but "Well done, Batt."

Although as soon as I started reading what was on the page, I wanted to take back my props. They compiled student reactions found on Twitter and Facebook. I won't give my opinions on the journalistic integrity of that, but I will say that only one of the eleven reactions was in favor of her leaving. The reactions they did include range from A&M is racist and sexist and despite her intelligence and accomplishments she couldn't possibly have succeeded to self-proclaimed conspiracy theories about how Perry is behind it all. I'm not so sure how representative of the University population they are, though, because of all the faculty, staff, and students I've talked to, I've yet to talk to one person in favor of her. The opinions range from against her to apathetic.

But it's just another piece of evidence supporting our theory - whatever the Batt says, believe the opposition and you'll be right.

So what do y'all think. Sad day, good riddance, or who cares?

6 comments :

  1. I don't think I ever formed an opinion about Murano; I never followed what she was doing too closely. The main place I saw opinions about her was on the TexAgs message boards, and I assumed those were fueled by sexism and racism, because the dudes on TexAgs are sexist and racist. (Especially sexist.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a confession. I have never been to TexAgs...does that make me a bad Aggie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I'm sure it's good for your mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and I just have to say that "gone like a freight train" is one of the worst similes ever used in a equally bad Country and Western song!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know..."Gone like a soldier in the civil war, bang, bang" might have it beat.

    ReplyDelete