8.26.2007

Conspiracy Nuts

Back in the day, I commented on 9/11 conspiracy enthusiasts. This week, the History Channel (my FAVORITE channel) did a show on these theories, and debunked them all. They gave each theory only a cursory debunking; I would have preferred more detail, but I guess two hours was long enough for them.

This got me thinking about JFK conspiracies. As we all know, many doubt that Oswald really killed Kennedy. Conspiracy theories sprouted up shortly after the events in Dallas, just like they did immediately after the events in NYC and the Pentagon (you may recall that the original conspiracy theory was that the Jeeeeeewwwwwwssssss did it). Of course, with the internet, 9/11 theories were able to spread much faster this time around.

I suppose this can only mean that, 40 years from now, people will still claim that someone other than al-Qaeda perpetrated 9/11. Apparently, 70% or so of Americans believe there was a JFK plot; about a third of Americans believe there was a 9/11 conspiracy. One can only hope that this percentage does not increase over time; while JFK theories are plausible, a cursory examination disproves all 9/11 theories. Therefore, there is a direct correlation between ignorance and acceptance of 9/11 theories.

In the past, I have tended to believe that there was some sort of JFK plot. I need to do more research on the subject, but this 9/11 stuff leads me to believe that JFK conspiracies are probably similarly wacky.

More on this here.

1 comment :

  1. Ug. The conspiracy theorist mainly hurt my head. I think that there is a LOT of things that go on that we do not know (And I don't want to know).

    But, seriously? I was picked up by a limo and rode an hour with a conspiracy theory chauffeur.

    9/11 is tame compared to the "Shadow Government" theory...

    :S

    ReplyDelete