8.27.2007

My Philosophy on Comments

I just left a comment about commenting and it got me thinking. I want to clarify my views on blogs and the comment section.

I love comments. Not just the "MacKenzie, you are the most fabulous writer and you just crack my up all the time, your blog is the first thing I read every morning." Okay, so I've never actually gotten a comment like that, but a girl can dream. Anyway, I also like comments that disagree with me, at least they thought about my post long enough to disagree. And I really like comments that make me feel like I'm not as weird as I am, you know the ones like "Oh, I do that too" or "Wow, I thought I was the only person who has ever done something that stupid." And while some people don't like anonymous comments, I don't really mind, even though inside my mind is going crazy because I want to know who that person really is.

But as much as I love comments, I don't mind lurkers either. I have heard other bloggers say they find it rude to be a lurker or even to not comment after reading a post (yes, a comment for each post!). But I can't be hypocritical. There are a number of sites that I love to go to and I read them consistently but I have never commented on. Sometimes I found a post funny, but I don't have anything to say about that topic. Or I do, but other people have already said what I would have said. Or, I think they might think I am a weird stalker person with too much time on their hands. Plus, without lurkers, how could I imagine that hundreds of people out there read what I say and adore me. So lurkers perform a valuable service and should not be abused. But if you guys want to comment, I will love that too and I promise I won't think you are a weird stalker person with too much time on your hands, pinky promise.

This post has taught me two things. 1) I am apparently a very happy-go-lucky blogger. Why can't I be that way in real life? 2) I have a strange need for imaginary blog fame and glory. Hmm? I think that is enough self examination for today.

3 comments :

  1. oh MacKenzie, your blogs make me smile! :) (<-like that only I have a nose)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have whhhhaaaaayyyy more lurkers than commenters. I think it is fairly common. I'm stoked if my comments reflect 5% of traffic.

    My blog is pretty much "Me". I really talk in CAPS! Itallics!, EXCLAMATION POINTS!! (I know)

    I have a hard time sometimes with commments. I loathe confrontation, and I have gotten some rrrruuuuhhhhheeeeallly nasty comments and emails over things I've written. So, I get a little gun shy. But, if it is respectfully written, I'm ok with people disagreeing with me.

    Most bloggers yearn for blogging glory to some extent. ;P

    ReplyDelete