8.08.2007

Rules to live by

Craig is off on a business trip again. I don't like it when he is gone but I manage to survive by following my "3 Home Alone Rules."

Rule 1: Rent a girly movie
I don't like to force Craig to watch chick flicks when I know he doesn't want to so I try to get the ones I really want to see when he is away. This time I got Miss Potter and I really liked it. The area where they filmed some of the country scenes was gorgeous and along with the paintings make the movie just pretty to watch. The story line is slow but good. And it is real which I have been coming to really appreciate in a movie. At the end of the movie I realized that there really wasn't too much going on but while watching, I never wondered when it would end. This is in sharp contrast to The DaVinci Code, where every 5 minutes there was a major plot event/change but I probably checked my watch 15 times and kept hoping it would end soon. Miss Potter isn't all happiness so be prepared for that (I wasn't) but I would still recommend it heartily for anyone looking for a simple, sweet movie to watch.

Rule 2: Don't fix meals
Just 8 months ago I lived alone and didn't have any problem cooking a dinner for one. I actually like to come home and fix myself a nice meal, it was fun. But now, when I get home for work, I have absolutely no desire to cook anything, especially when it is already hot. So I have enacted this rule. At least this way I don't feel guilty for eating things like cheese quesadillas or "breakfast for dinner." But even if I didn't have this rule, I would still probably eat breakfast for dinner. Why should I only have my favorite meal's foods only eat it in the morning? I'm busy in the morning, geez. But I love pancakes and french toast and scrambled eggs. I even love eating cereal for dinner sometimes. Somehow I don't think Craig would feel full after a dinner of cereal so I save it for special occasions like this.

Rule 3: Listen to music when I go to bed
I love going to sleep while listening to a cd. Recently I saw the preview for Becoming Jane and while the score for the film is original, the previews borrow music from Emma and Sense and Sensibility. I have the S&S soundtrack and as soon as I heard the S&S songs I recognized them and realized that I hadn't listen to it in forever which is sad because I lllllooooovvvveee it. So last night out it came. It's so soothing to fall asleep to it. Josh Groban is another nighttime favorite but sometimes I get distracted by the words and start singing along. It's fun but not always sleep inducing.

2 comments :

  1. I should make sure to leave often so you can get chick flicks out of your system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't hate me, but I am going to be visiting the Lake District and Hill Top (Beatrix Potter's farm) when I go to the UK in September.

    I cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete