5.20.2008

WFMW - Be a diva

This is a women only post, so if you are of the male persuasion, I would really really recommend just clicking away...






Last chance, I mean it. When I responded to Craig's question about my WFMW post, all I heard was "oh no, don't write about that" and "your putting too much girly stuff on the blog."





Okay, now that we got that out of the way, let's get started. So what has been working for me lately? The diva cup. Now don't get all weirded out. It's great. And while the topic is kinda personal, I feel indebted to the woman bloggers I learned about this from, and I feel drawn to share this with y'all. I mean, no more tampons, no more pads. This little cup is my favorite thing about my period. And by that I mean, it's the only thing about my period I like. For those of you who haven't heard of it, it's a little silicon cup that you wear inside. You can't really feel it and to change it, you just empty it, rinse it and put it back in place. I know it sounds icky, but if you think about the more traditional alternatives, they sound icky too. I find it to actually feels much cleaner. There is a slight learning curve when it comes to getting it in place but after a few tries, it is a piece of cake.

I could give you the lots of "green" reasons for using the diva cup. Nothing gets thrown away, no harsh chemicals leaking out into your body, etc. Plus it doesn't have the risk of TSS like tampons do. And yes, it is cheaper. Just a one purchase and you are done forever! (or until you have kids). But no, I don't use it for any thrifty reason or in an effort to reduce my carbon footprint.

I use it because it is comfortable and convenient. I have had some awful cramps in my life. Just a few months ago, I had to leave work at 10am because I couldn't stand the pain and needed to lie down. Luckily, it was the flu season and I work with scientists-boys who told me to go home, lie down and eat lots of oranges. Instead I went home, lied down, and ate lots of chocolate. But after switching over to the diva cup, my cramps have been so much better. I have probably cut my Tylenol usage by 75%. Also, you only have to change it every 12 hours, even on heavy days! That beats a change every fews hours by a landslide!

In case you don't believe me there are some another resource to check out is here.

Once you are convinced you need to try this, you can easily find them online. The cheapest place I found, and hence where I bought mine, was here. There are two sizes, Model 1 for the childless or under 30 crowd and Model 2 for those who have had kids... I guess having kids changes things down there :-) It comes with instructions including one folding method for application, but look around online and you will find others. The official one didn't work for me and I got frustrated at first, but once I tried something different, it wasn't a problem.

And that is what works for me, be sure to check out other ideas at Rocks In My Dryer.

9 comments :

  1. now this has to be one of the best WFMW posts i've seen in a long time. i hate tampons and pads leave me feeling unclean no matter what i do. i'll look into it, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My jaw is on the floor! I have absolutely never ever heard of this ... how can that be? I am now going to FLY over the the link you posted to investigate! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard about this in the blogosphere for awhile and have thought about it. I'm sure it will be something that I try eventually. It's helpful to get first hand reviews. I haven't heard of anyone who hasn't really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You may have convinced me. Great post. I've been kind of weirded out by it but you make excellent points. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use instead, same idea but it's disposable. (Available at Target) I'll have to check into this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. posts like this remind why i'm grateful i no longer possess a uterus.

    however...bravo to you for sharing this with the other menstruating women of the blogsphere!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. it makes me chuckle that you have large buffer spaces to protect the eyes of those who my not want to accidentally read about "womens troubles." That does sound like an interesting idea, I'm surprised too, that it hasn't become more mainstreamed! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mental note..."ALWAYS BELIEVE MACKENZIE WHEN SHE SAYS FOR GIRLS ONLY!" I think I started to cry midway through. By the end I realized exactly why I am gay...GROSS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't believe my eyes. I browse WFMW often and I hadn't seen your post until AFTER I just ordered one of these. I think this is confirmation!!! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete