3.31.2009

WFMW: Classic Hymns (for free!)

While blog hopping a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon Page CXVI, a project/band that has reworked some old classic hymns. (Cool fact - the name is a reference to page 116 of Magician's Nephew. How much do I love the C.of N. geekiness?) While I am learned to love praise and worships songs, real hymns will always have a special place in my heart. From what I have listened to, Page CXVI has done a great job at accomplishing their mission.

You can download a sampling here for free, which includes 5 full hymns (Come thou Font, My Jesus I love Thee, Nothing but the blood, Solid Rock, and Joy). I think my favorite hymn (of all the hymns in the world, not just of these five) is The Solid Rock and their version is pretty good. Another great one is Joy (I've got the Joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my heart). When I first heard their twist on it, I thought it was a little depressing. But as I've been dealing with a lot of hard things these last couple weeks, I have come to really "get it." Sometimes joy isn't a feeling you just have, it's something you make yourself do. That's a hard concept but it helps when it is being pounded into your head through a beautiful song. So classical hymns work for me, especially when they are free!

*And yes, I made a mistake and didn't realize WFMW was a backwards edition but considered this post a break from the question answering.

No comments :

Post a Comment