8.12.2007

Cookbook Recommendation

As a young married couple, we are trying to establish and expand our repertoire of meals. This includes not only merging and purging our individual menus, but also finding new recipes. We've checked several cookbooks out of the local library, and one we've found is quite excellent. It's "Everyday Pasta" by Giada De Laurentiis.

The first thing I look at to assess a recipe (after the title and picture, of course) is the ingredient list. If I see a lot of capers and shallots and white wine, I move on, because I don't own that stuff, and I'm not going to buy it. Other items I substitute, such as dried herbs for fresh herbs or olive oil for extra-extra virgin olive oil, or skip, such as red peppers. The beauty of this cookbook is that it contains excellent recipes that require few crazy ingredients.

Yesterday, I prepared Chicken in Lemon Cream with Penne. It was quite good. Here's the recipe:

1/2 lb penne pasta
1.5 tbsp olive oil
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into 1-inch cubes
1/2 tsp herbes de Provence (we have this, to my surprise)
pinch of salt, plus 1/4 tsp
pinch of pepper, plus 1/8 tsp
1/2 cup chicken broth (NOT 1/2 can)
1 cup heavy cream
zest of lemon
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup parsley (I substituted basil)
1/2 tbsp lemon juice

Boil pasta 8-10 minutes. Drain.

Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet. Season chicken with herbes de Provence and pinches of salt and pepper. Cook chicken for 5 minutes. Remove chicken and pour off excess oil. Heat broth, add cream, zest, and cayenne. Simmer on medium-low for 10 minutes.

Add pasta, chicken, salt, pepper, parsley/basil, and lemon juice. Toss to coat and serve.

3 comments :

  1. I can see you Craig, chopping chicken into 1 inch cubes! "Oofta, this one is only 3/4", it can not be used!" Sounds delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprisingly, he's actually more likely to by random and lazy with his measurements...not always a good thing. The 1/2 cup not 1/2 a can note was learned by experience (But it was still great, Craig!).

    Oh and Amanda, the first time I read your comment I totally missed the oofta part, which is completely the best part. Oofta, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who says one needs to be precise when measuring ingredients? Who says 1/2 a cop of flour is good, but 7/16 cup of flour is bad? Measurements are determined by standard sizes of ingredients. For example, a can of chicken broth is 16 oz., so that's what recipes call for. You never see a recipe call for 14 oz. of chicken broth. So I feel no need to be precise.

    ReplyDelete