8.30.2007

My Name in the Mud

Boy, I've enjoyed seeing headlines like this all week:
"Craig Says, 'I Am Not Gay'"

My name isn't that common, so it jumps out at me when I see it anywhere, especially in this context.

I also can't help but think of that toe-tapping thing every time I go into the bathroom. Gross.

The question I would like to address now is this: Is Sen. Craig really a hypocrite? That's the charge that's being bandied about. The thought goes that, since he has voted against gay marriage, and engaged in gay conduct, he's being hypocritical. I disagree.

In the literal sense, Craig would be a hypocrite if he went off to Massachusetts and secretly married some guy, and then voted against gay marriage. I think you can be gay but oppose gay marriage; it's probably not all that common, though.

Also, when people promote moral standards, and then break them, liberals love to scream hypocrisy. If that's the case, every Christian is a hypocrite, because we are against sin, but we all do it. Failing to meet your standards isn't being a hypocrite; it's being human.

Now, all this aside, I think Craig should resign. Senators shouldn't engage in that conduct. I think it would serve the GOP if its legislators resigned when caught in these situations, as opposed to Democrats, who merely get re-elected (e.g., William Jefferson, Gerry Studds).

3 comments :

  1. Here's my take on the hypocrisy thing: there are a lot of Republicans who build their reputation on being Family Values guys. It's convenient, because it's a big and vague umbrella that appeals to a lot of Republican-leaning voters. Vague as it is, there are many things that are clearly Not Family Values. These things include homosexuality (because almost all objection to gay marriage is objection to being gay), prostitution, hitting on kids, etc. And when people who make their living on peddling Family Values are in fact out soliciting children or undercover cops (especially of their own gender), I don't see how it could be anything but hypocrisy.

    And when the part that gets cast as Not Family Values Party makes hay out of these things . . . I mean, can you blame them? It's SO easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, bummer about your name, man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Rachel's comments. I would like to add that the focus should be more on the fact that Sen. Craig was toe-tapping himself toward infidelity; the fact that it was in pursuit of adultery with a man is just a bonus.*

    *No, I don't really rejoice about adultery. I do enjoy the irony of holier-than-thou people getting exposed for being less than holy. Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, whatever: practice what you preach. That's it.

    ReplyDelete