8.15.2007

Spontaneous delights in life

I am not a spontaneous person but last night I was glad that I took a chance and did something unplanned. This past weekend was supposed to be the prime time to go out and watch the Perseid meteor shower but it was cloudy both nights so we didn't ever get to see any. But last night when Craig went to go switch the laundry, he saw one and realized that it was finally not cloudy out. So off we went to go see the show. Even though it was only a little after 10, I was already ready for bed but I quickly grabbed shoes and some bug spray. So there I was in in my flannel pants, Craig's old SPAM t-shirt and Keens. Yes, I was quite the fashion statement but as we are such good law abiding citizens and didn't get pulled over, I don't care. We drove out to Green Canyon and just laid on the hood of the car watching the skies. It was so much fun. In all we probably saw about 10 which is a lot for me because I don't remember ever having seen one before. I'm not sure whether I want to say we saw shooting stars or meteorites. Meteorites sound like more fun, but shooting star sounds more romantic. It was both fun and romantic!

But the best part of the night was how God used it to give me a little bit of an attitude adjustment. I've been in a bit of a funk lately but just being out there with the beauty of God's creation reminded me that I am a part of that creation. It was so amazing to think about the sky and space and all that God created. It reminded me of the 2nd verse of the hymn we sang at church last Sunday, How Great Thou Art.

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!


God is great. I'm not a murderer nor have I ever robbed any stores, but when I think about all the little things I have done, I realize that I'm not the great person that I like to think I am. But God created me too and He loves me, unconditionally, more than I could ever deserve, and He wants the best for me. I know that to Him, I am beautiful just like the mountains and the stars are beautiful to Him (and me). When I think about my life that way, it kinda puts things in perspective. If I make my life about glorifying God and praising him, I can't really go wrong. By that I mean, I can go wrong, and I will, but He will still love me. And someday, I will be in heaven, where even the amazing beauty that surrounds me here will pale in comparison. I can't even imagine that but I'm thinking it's gonna be pretty sweet. To summarize: Next time you get the opportunity to do something unexpected, I suggest you take it.

1 comment :