8.16.2007

My Mr. Knightley

Someone posed a question in the comment section of a blog I frequent. The question: " Because what's better than Alan Rickman in a costume drama? (Besides, of course, Colin Firth in a costume drama.)"

I give you my answer: Jeremy Northam in a costume drama. I LOVE Jeremy Northam. Heck, I named my cat after him. Well, technically my cat is named after my favorite character that he plays (Mr. Knightley) , but close enough. He is amazing in Emma and really good in both An Ideal Husband and The Winslow Boy. I probably wouldn't even like the Winslow Boy if it wasn't for him but he is just too good not to love.

If you are not into period movies, then you might think he is creepy because he plays lots of different characters, even bad guys. He was the bad guy in The Net. He branched out even more in Happy, Texas, a weird but funny movie where he plays an escaped convict pretending to be a beauty pageant expert. (Alongside Steve Zahn who was also funny, although less cute). He is obviously a very talented actor. And for those who are partial to the Tudors, he will be playing the part of Sir Thomas More in the upcoming TV Show.

Another great point I need to mention is his attractiveness. He is cute in period clothes and regular clothes. A lot of actors that are adorable in period clothes look ghastly when wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but not my Jeremy.

Here is a video of him looking Dashing in Emma.




And here is him looking just as cute in more modern clothing. What more could you ask for?

4 comments :

  1. I decided Jonathan and I were meant to be when I went as Emma and he went as Mr. Knightly the Halloween before we met.

    We were even married to the soundtrack "Emma"

    I later found out that he went dressed up like that because his cousin made him watch the movie the night before and he had a suit that worked and he was desperate for a costume.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it still sounds providential, cousins aside.

    I love the Emma soundtrack and when I heard part of it on a preview for Becoming Jane I got all upset because they "stole" it but then I found out it was just for the trailers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen Emma for a long, long time (or ever? I'm not sure), so I got confused when I saw that funny-looking guy in your clip. But then I saw that Jeremy Northam must be the other one. (And is that precious Ewan, being weird?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is Ewan. He is so weird looking in this movie. Which is sad because he is supposed to be all cute and everyone talks about how he is good looking but that hair! But it isn't his fault because in Ms. Potter he has nice hair. Gosh, he has better hair in Star Wars than Emma.

    ReplyDelete