7.09.2008

WFMW: Pick and choose your budget method

We finally did it! We made it through this last month with money actually left over in our food budget! We've tried to keep our grocery budget low and we don't do awful but if we do make it under, it is just by the skin of our teeth. We have heard lots of testimonies from people about the benefits of going the cash only (aka - envelope) route but dealing with all that cash always seemed too inconvenient and impractical. Then a friend suggestion just switching a couple of categories over into envelopes. Why hadn't I thought of that?

Switching over just our groceries budget wasn't hard at all and it did effect our buying habits. I really wouldn't have though it would have made the difference it did.

This was our second month of buying groceries with cash and we actually came in with over $15 left. To be honest, both Craig and I were gone for parts of the month which meant we ate less, but that was more than balanced out by our having guests over for dinner two times this month. So if you have ever been interested in going cash/envelope budget system but think it is too difficult, try adjusting with just one or two categories at first. It works for us.

3 comments :

  1. I've heard lots of talk about the envelope system. It's nice to hear a success story. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - thanks for sharing - I mean DUH, but me too - why does it always feel like the budgeting ideas are All or Nothing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use cash for groceries and eating out also. :)
    I thought about doing it with gas money also but I get gas at Costco and you can't use cash (card only).
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete