7.29.2008

I Remember

Beav,

You're turning 15 today! How exciting; you must be feeling so grown up and mature. But ...

I remember when Rick and I went with Mom to go see your ultrasound. When we found out you were a boy, and truthfully, I was really disappointed, I wanted a sister.

I remember how excited I was when Dad told us you were born and how it didn't even matter that you weren't a sister. Even though I was only 8, I was fiercely protective of my baby brother. I even fought with Grandma over who would get to hold you.

I remember when you were two and loved hats; military hats, fireman hats, baseball caps, if you could put it on your head, you loved it.

I remember when you were three or four and went through a phase were the only thing you liked to wear were superhero pajamas. You had batman and superman and they both had little capes velcro-ed to the back. You wore them everywhere.

I remember how you have always loved baseball but refused to play t-ball when you were little because it was "cheating" and not "real" baseball.

I remember in Korea how you started becoming not only my baby brother, but my friend. We were able to do lots of sightseeing together, climbing mountains, going snow tubing, seeing the world's largest indoor theme park and eating all that great Thai food, especially the fish and chips.

I remember hanging out in the basement and playing skateboarding games on the X-box with you. I could compete for the first 2 hours or so of getting the game but after that, I didn't even stand a chance.

I remember helping you do your homework just last year and thinking how smart and diligent you were even though we were reading about the most boring subject in all of science - rocks. I knew then that you were going to be just fine in "real school."

I can't wait to watch you grow up even more and see what great things you go on to do with your life.

Right now, life might seem like it is getting more difficult as you're getting older: more choices, harder decisions, and longer lasting consequences but without the independence that you sometimes might want. And it must be harder without Dad being right there with you, you're having to step up and be the man of the house. But if you ever doubt that you can do it, if you ever feel like giving up, just you remember that I believe in you and I've known you since before you were even born so I know what I'm talking about.

Happy Birthday!

No comments :

Post a Comment