7.08.2008

I "fry" something...PINK

Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those that weep.
Romans 12:15

Luckily this time, we are talking about rejoicing. A friend from the women's bible study I attend has just finished chemo so the women of our church are gathering to celebrate! It's just a simply backyard get together with sandwiches and iced tea (and lots of chatting I'm sure). We are all supposed to bring a side dish and in honor of the occasion, if possible, a pink side dish.

It sounded like a great festive idea last night at the bible study but then I tried to actually think of a pink side dish I could bring. Acck! What is a good pink side dish?

If all else fails I could bring a bowl of cut up watermelon but that seems so boring. But strawberries are on sale and the ones I got are quite tasty so maybe something with strawberries would be good? And I am not opposed to just dying something pink if that is possible. I feel there must be something good but I just can't think of it. Any ideas? Anyone?

Oh, and despite the title of this post, it's a picnic with a bunch of ladies so I'm thinking something light and summery. Craig struggled with the idea of "women food" and his ideas of rare meat and spam on crackers were rejected. Don't let that be you.

3 comments :

  1. You could make something with salmon or shrimp, those are pink fish. Or grapefruit. Grapefruits are pink and summery. There's a recipe for a roasted salmon with grapefruit sauce. (That doesn't sound very good though)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I immediately thought of the drink Pink Lady, but it's for your church group so how about Cold Strawberry Soup for a nice pink touch. Recipes abound at Cooks.com but the one I favor has only strawberries, ice cream, whipping cream and a touch of lemon juice. What's not to like?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda - I probably would have gone with shrimp if I had planned enough it advance to get it on sale. Good idea.

    Mom - That soup sounds nice but a tad bit impractical for a picnic. But you were right, that strawberry pretzel delight jello dish was tasty. You were also right in that it was more red than pink but nobody seemed to mind.

    ReplyDelete