7.25.2008

Another holiday post

Several people have asked me why I wasn't going out and celebrating the holiday yesterday. Well, the simply truth is I'm not a Mormon. I know, I know, it isn't just a LDS holiday, it's a state holiday too - but it is a holiday to celebrate LDS history and I just don't care about that. Maybe if I considered myself more of a Utahn, I would, but I don't really think so.

Having said that, I have absolutely no problem with it being a religious holiday and a state holiday. The LDS church is a huge part of Utah history and it would just be silly to pretend otherwise. I feel the same way about Christian holidays like Easter and Christmas in the US. I say Merry Christmas, not Happy Holidays (and especially not X-mas!)

It has been really interesting to live in such a religious environment when that religion that isn't my own. I have lived in places where the overall predominant religion wasn't Christianity before (like Korea) but even then, my little community was mostly Christians. That's just the way I roll. And in Texas, almost everyone you meet would at least describe themselves as a Christian, whether or not that actually effected their lives on Sunday or any other day. But never have I been a part of a community, and yet, in such a large way, not been a part of it.

I have really learned a lot living here because of that, especially in the area of church/state relations. Most of my opinions on what is acceptable and what isn't haven't really changed, but I do understand how "the other side" feels now and where they might be coming from. And it has challenged me to sort out why I believe what I believe and to ensure that I have solid reasons and logic for thinking a certain way. I don't want to just go along continuing to think what I have always thought because that is what I have always thought so why not keep thinking it?

What about you? How does your religion and your community's compare and how does it affect your life, thoughts, etc?

No comments :

Post a Comment