7.14.2007

Confession

In my previous post about the trip, I left off a detail about our drive back which I now feel compelled to share. Hopefully it doesn't backfire.

Since it was an official business trip, Craig drove the company truck. It is a little bit dusty since they typically use it to go out in fields and woods but we saved wear and tear on our own car and I felt safer. Ours isn't a bad little car but it does tend to break down at the most inopportune times. If the stories weren't so fresh in my mind, they probably would be funny but for now let's just say we have gotten our money's worth out of AAA.

About half way through our trip home, I started thinking about pick-up trucks. That got me thinking about those girls at A&M that I always made fun of. The ones whose boyfriends have trucks and when they go anywhere together, the girl always sits in the middle seat while the rest of the world is wondering why they can't let the poor boy have some elbow room since there is a perfectly good, full size seat right next to them. These girls were often the same ones who showed up to class in really short skirts and heals and then had to find a way to sit on the hard plastic chairs without exposing too much underwear or sticking to the seat in a unattractive way - by the way, they usually failed in these attempts. Anyway, I always ridiculed these girls when I saw them, sometimes aloud to Craig or my girlfriends, but always internally. So yesterday, knowing that my time riding in a truck with Craig was coming to an end, I moved over to the middle seat. Just to be funny of course. But then, I found that I like it there and so I stayed for the rest of the trip. It's kind of embarrassing to admit, but I had to tell yoo, I just couldn't live a lie.

I'm trying to think of what lesson I should have learned from all this. Do I need to examine myself and find out why I am so judgmental? I have decided that no, I do not. I am pretty sure those girls were just as ridiculous as I previously though they were so I don't feel bad for forming my opinions about them based on where they sit in a truck or what they wear to Biology 101. I am just going to start letting myself be ridiculous every once in a while too and others are welcome to think ill of me all they want.

2 comments :

  1. I, too, liked having a lady in the middle seat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! snazzed up the blog page! :) its ok youre a middle seater, we still love you. just be glad youre not obnoxiously tall, because then the middle seat is not fun at all!

    ReplyDelete