7.25.2007

Injuries and Maladies

My brother broke his leg. Not my 14-year old brother who routinely participates in injury-causing activities like roof climbing and skateboarding but my older brother; the 24-year old engineering PhD student. Anyway, I guess he broke it Saturday but didn't find out until Monday that it was actually broken and not just a bad sprain like he thought. That is probably the biggest difference between my brother and I (besides the gender thing). His pain tolerance is really high while mine...is not. If I get a splinter in my finger my family will hear about it for hours (I feel better when I know others can sympathize and what better way than to make them feel my pain by hearing about it all the time, right?) while he can go two days with a broken leg before going to the doctor. Hopefully, his abnormal pain tolerance will stay with him until next Thursday when he has surgery and they put a metal plate in his leg to keep it all together. Please pray for him and whatever pain he does have.

Another injury that is not at all at the same level but only proves my point about being whiny with pain, occurred last night. We had just gotten home from a surprise birthday party for a friend. It was a lot of fun but I was exhausted and was getting ready for bed in the zombie-like state that occurs when I haven't slept/napped in the last 10 hours. (Sleep and I are good friends). Standing in front of the closet, I turn to go find something to put on the 1.5 million bug bites I got while outside watching the boys men try and light fireworks when all of a sudden, I see this cell phone flying at my face. It seemed to happen in slow motion but I still couldn't do anything before it hit my smack dab in the middle of my forehead. I stumbled and fell onto the bed, trying to figure out what happening when Craig rushed over and repeatedly tells me how sorry he is. Apparently, he walked past the bedroom door and was trying to gently toss my cell phone onto the bed so I could plug it in. This really was a very nice gesture because I always forget to get it out of my purse and then I have to get up out of bed to get it (or call Craig and make him). Unfortunately, right as he tossed the phone, I walked past the door. Even through the pain, it was funny and my crying and laughing were intertwined. I do have a bump of my forehead now which should be good for guilt-tripping Craig for at least a day I think so all is well.

2 comments :

  1. Ug. I loathe pain and am a total wuss about it. I also have a weird fear about breaking a bone. With the exception of my toes and nose (Which is just cartilage so it doesn't really count) I have never broken a bone.

    I plan on it staying that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( hope you feel better! (and your brother too!) You should have pretended that Craig hit you in the part of your brain that affects memory, and ask who his is, and why he's bothering you in your house :)

    ReplyDelete