7.17.2007

Banana fana fo fana

When you get older, you are supposed to like foods you didn't when you were younger. This hasn't really happened with me, at least not yet. I keep trying things like black olives, mustard, and feta cheese, thinking that someday I will like them because I'm an adult now and you are supposed to like that sort of stuff as an adult. But each time, I find them more disgusting than the last.

There is only one food that I remember not liking but now I do - bananas. When I was in school (kindergarten to be precise, my only "real" school experience) my mom used to pack me a banana in my lunch sometimes and write messages on the peel with a marker. It was very cool. So either I like bananas then, or my mom just forced them on me anyway. But when I was in middle school, I hated bananas, except for banana bread which doesn't count because it doesn't really taste like banana that much. And then, when I was about 14, I changed my mind and decided that I loved bananas. I love plain bananas, peanut butter and banana sandwiches, and I even like bananas in my ice cream (well, only if it is peanut butter or chocolate ice cream). I am still kinda picky about the ripeness of the banana though, I like them the day after all the green disappears, before any brown spots ruin them. That is more of a texture thing though, once they get spotted, they get too smushy and I can't deal with that. I have also held onto my distaste for those fake banana flavors, like banana runts or those gross "banana fudge pops" you could get at A&M's cafeterias. Those are especially bad because the title is so deceitful - it's just a banana flavored Popsicle, there is no fudge to be found!

Despite my tumultuous relationship with bananas, I hope that in the future, the foods I love remain dear to my heart. And maybe someday, I will be able to stomach mustard on my sandwich or feta on my salad, but that might just be too much to ask.

1 comment :