7.25.2007

New Haven for Illegals

New Haven, CT (a quite appropriate name, in this case) today unveiled its illegal immigrant ID card. For $10, those who acquire the card can access city services and use it as a limited debit card. About 250 of the city's 10-15,000 illegals showed up to get their card. Of course, the pro-illegal Catholic Church is behind this:
Rev. Jim Manship, of St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church in Fair Haven, said he spoke about the cards Sunday to his congregation, which includes many immigrants, and applications were distributed. "People will come out," he said Tuesday. "These folks are incredibly resilient and incredibly hopeful."
Now, if I were in charge, here's what I would have done. I would have had ICE show up with dozens of officers and a couple of buses and arrest everyone in line to get the card, for immediate deportation. I would then have cut off all federal aid to the city of New Haven, until they eliminated this ID card.

Simple solution, if you ask me. Too bad nobody else thought of it.

7 comments :

  1. This is why I'm not going to vote for you. (If you ever feel like running for something, I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already written off your vote, although that raises an interesting question: if you are friends with, or are related to, someone that was running for high political office, but you generally disagree with his/her views, at what point does friendship trump ideology in your voting decision?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, never. That's how we end up with Presidents like, oh I dunno, Dubya.

    I'm sure you already know that I'm with Rachel on this one, but I feel the need to comment on our solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, see, I feel like there's a complex matrix of factors here: how good a friend they are, what their character is like, what office they're running for (school board vs. President, say), and how far apart our views are. You'd be a-ok on the first two, and I don't know what your hypothetical office would be, but our political views are so wildly divergent that I can't really think of an office that would bring the situation around to where I'd certainly vote for you. For instance, I wouldn't vote for you for mayor of New Haven, Connecticut. Mayor of Bison, Kansas, maybe.

    And, of course, I'm going to tack on the rider--no offense. I wouldn't expect you to vote for me, either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I forgot an important element of the matrix--who you'd be running against. There are any number of current high officials in this country that I'd replace with you in a heartbeat.

    (I mean, at least you're smart.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would vote for you in a Madison election, because a liberal's going to win there anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to say I would always vote for you (I am a kindred spirit with Craig on all these issues!). And you would get about 90% of the military vote (but of course we are all right-wing crazies anyway).

    On the other hand, if you ever do my daughter wrong, I would vote for John Edwards over you (and for me that would really hurt). :<)

    Seriously, this actually happened to a number of us last year. An old friend of 20 years to about 10 of us--and the only liberal Democrat out of the bunch--ran last year for State Senator in Montana, and asked all of us to contribute to his campaign. We all laughed about it but in the end he has been such a close friend, and except for his Party affiliation and political views is smart :<), that we all ended up contributing. He lost by 400 votes, and we have all kidded him that the only Democrat we ever supported couldn't get elected!

    You say you wouldn't vote for a close friend but it actually is harder to do than you think--especially if deep down you know that friend is a good person, even if wrong-headed at times.

    ReplyDelete