7.24.2007

Does anybody know what day it is?

It's the 24 of July so you know what that means? You don't? Well, let me tell ya. Today is Pioneer Day, an official holiday in Utah. Now, since I am not from Utah, Pioneer Day is kinda new to me. Technically it is a state holiday so I don't have to go to work but it is really a religious holiday for the Mormons. Also called the days of '47, it celebrates the arrival of Brigham Young and his followers into Utah and the Salt Lake Valley. I didn't realize it before, but it seems to be celebrated more than the 4th of July. There are parades all over the state and Logan is having a big festival with a rodeo, pie-eating contests, and "high-stakes bingo" (listed as suitable for ages 3-99). It is weird to watch the "news" shows this morning because all the ones from SLC are talking about the holiday, the events and everything that is going on but you change over to the Today show and it is just a normal day where they are focusing on Drew Carey's new gig as the host of The Price is Right (which I approve) and how to keep your animals cool during the summer (I guess I approve that too).
As a Lutheran/Methodist/Episcopalian, I won't be celebrating but I will be enjoying my day off with some cleaning, laundry and a bit of shopping. I am sad to say that Craig still has to work but at least he gets to spend the day somewhere with proper air conditioning.

No comments :

Post a Comment