7.16.2007

Really Old Crap

Last week at work it was pretty quiet and not much to do so I decided to take on the Copy Room. It is my job to make sure it is stocked and organized but ever since I got there, I had been wanted to go through and clean it out. I thought there was a lot of old and unused stuff in there but it wasn't until I really started cleaning things out that I realized how much stuff and how old it really was. Luckily, I had the digital camera in my purse so I am able to share all my sweet finds with you all.

A 1996 Olympic special edition UPS envelope. Notice the EXTREMELY URGENT print on the bottom. I really want to send someone something in this envelope.

A 1984 Fed Ex Guide book. I wasn't even born in 1984! You guys aren't really getting the whole effect here though because this picture makes it hard to see just how incredibly awful this guy's haircut is.
We actually had 2 boxes of this stuff. That is about 30 bottles of correction fluid thinner.
We also had boxes of carbon paper. But I shouldn't feel bad for throwing them out because if you notice the price, they are only 5¢ a box.

Special Delivery stickers. Again, since they only cost 19¢ I felt like I could risk throwing them away.This is only a fraction of the typewriter stuff that I found. The round things in the front are actually different fonts. I didn't know you could change the font on typewriters but apparently, you can. I don't know a lot about typewriters and actually found this stuff to be really cool. But I think my lack of knowledge made some of my co-workers feel old, so I stopped asking questions.
These are shading plates. I don't know how old they are, but I couldn't find anyone in the office that knew what they were or how they were used. We did a little bit of educated guessing though and came up with a theory. Inside the envelopes are metal squares with different raised patterns on it. We think that if someone wanted to make a graph in the days before computers, they used these plates with carbon paper to give the different sections different darknesses and patterns. Anyway, that is our guess. If you know for sure what they are used for, let me know.

2 comments :

  1. Oh, does this take me back to my working days . . . I used most of those things daily! Of course, that was 25 years ago. Sigh, I'm a dinosaur . . . Secretarioptaur.

    (Using carbon paper was SUCH a pain!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just today I was sent a document in a 1996 Olympic games envelope - different picture than the one you had up though.

    I found your blog using Google Image Search just so you know.

    ReplyDelete