2.05.2008

Primary Eve

Well, tomorrow's the big primary day here in Utah, as well as in many other states. I've already voted for Mitt Romney (I like early voting). When this whole thing started many moons ago, I never thought I'd end up voting for him, but when your 1st and 2nd choices drop out, and it comes down to 3 (Romney) vs. 4 (McCain), you do what you have to do. I considered changing my registration and voting for Obama in the Democratic primary, since that one is actually competitive here, but on the day of the deadline I had no transportation to get to the clerk's office, so I left it alone. It may not matter though. Here is the current polling data for Utah:
  • Romney 84 - McCain 4
  • Obama 53 - Clinton 29
Yes, that says 84. The Mormons will come out in force for Brother Mitt. That's more or less how he won the Nevada caucus, too.

People told me that if I want a Republican to win in November, I be better served voting for Hillary instead of Obama. That's probably true, but my innate sense of what is pure, right, and just in the world does not allow me to support the Clintons and their gutter politics.

As for the GOP race, I tend to think Romney is not as finished as the media is making it seem. Of course, I tend towards irrational optimism. But if he wins California, and pulls off another upset or two (Georgia?), he will have every reason to hang around for the next few primaries. If that smarmy populist Mike Huckabee would drop out, it would help Romney a lot, but he's hoping for the VP slot, so he's hanging around to help McCain, whom you'll notice he never says a negative word about. They don't call him "Suckupabee" for nothing. Of course, if McCain does win, and picks Huckabee, he can kiss many conservative votes goodbye. I'll vote for McCain if I have to, but I won't vote for McCain-Huckabee.

I'm not too thrilled about the idea of McCain as the GOP nominee. His sins against conservatism are many, and he seems to just love to poke Republicans in the eye. Many on my side fear that, once he clinches the nomination, his recent spate of harsh attacks will end, and he'll begin a 9-month long love fest with Hillary, culminating in his defeat. I know that if we end up with a Clinton-McCain race, I'll be quite irritated. I'm sick of both of them. As Mark Steyn says, if it gets to that, it's a shame one of them has to win.

1 comment :