2.11.2008

Hair today

I feel the need to talk about something really deep - my hair. My whole life my hair has been one of the banes of my existence. Can one have more than one bane or is it it like "the worst" and their can be only one? Well, it's my blog and I say I can have more than one bane.

Anyways, back to my hair. From about the age of 7 until I was about my late high school years, I wore my hair in a ponytail every single day. Some may think I am exaggerating but believe me, I had friends that had known me for years and had never seen my hair down. It's not really that awful, I just have a lot of it and didn't know how to work with it. But that is okay, in high school I just consoled myself with thoughts of my nice skin. I managed to scrape through my teen years with only the occasional period zit. And if my hair had done what I wanted, I still would probably be looking back ten years from now wondering why I followed that stupid trend. So in hindsight, it worked out in the end.

But then I tried hard in college to work with it and half the time it was okay, half the time I had a big poodle on my head. I guess it was good enough to snag a guy so it couldn't have been that bad, or maybe he just had low hair standards.

Here in Utah I have learned that I am easily swayed by Craig and his many ideas for my hair. Dye it red, cut it short, grow it long, dye it black (didn't listen to that one, ugh). I wanted to grow it out then I got impatient and planned on cutting it back to my short length (just about shoulder). But I have also been lazy lately and didn't even get around to it. And thank goodness I didn't because I have discovered something. Utah in the winter is like paradise for my hair. I love it. I hate everything else about the winter and the snow and the dry air which makes me itch. But my hair, it is like silky strands of gold. I can just wash it and dry it, or not. That's right, I don't even have to blow dry it! It's great.

Now I don't want you to think this post is me bragging. But that's isn't the case, my hair isn't great because of anything I do. It's just the air. And I just wanted to give any of you struggling with hair issues hope. Someday your Utah will come. Hopefully, it won't involve you actually having to come to Utah [unless you're visiting me :-)] but either way, I hope it happens for you.

5 comments :

  1. I suppose low humidity does have its points (None of them involving the gallons of moisturizer you must use to not feel lizard-like)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't remember ever seeing a poodle on your head. Of course i usually saw you on days you saw Craig....hmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a good hair colorist if you want to get crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me and a box of Clairol are the only colorists MacKenzie needs.

    ReplyDelete