10.13.2008

Freak Show

I'll admit - I am intrigued by freaks of nature. I wish I had been around in the 1930's to go to state fairs and see Lobster Boy, Gorilla Girl, etc (even though many of them were fake). But alas, those days are gone. However, I did stumble across a freak show of sorts on campus the other day, on the second story of a veterinary building. Take, for example, the horse with hydrocephalus:


Note also the two-face calf on the left. Or the two-headed lamb:


Finally, I will leave you with two lambs with one head, which surely is a rarity. I guess the technical term is "diprosopus," or craniofacial duplication, although the photo below doesn't seem to match the Wikipedia entry.


I'd love to have seen the look on the face of the taxidermist when these specimens were brought into the room. Was it shock, horror, or delight?

1 comment :

  1. Considering the type of mind one must have to be a taxidermist, I would say delight.

    Also, I am so glad those shows aren't around for you to drag me to.

    ReplyDelete