Vaca Recap - Part 3

I know this post is wwaaayy overdue but every time I went to prepare the picture for it, I got sucked into doing some scrapbooking and before I knew it, I had spent 3 hours on the computer with no post to show for it. So in place of some of the pictures, I'll just put up a scrapbook page. (If they are too small to see, just click to get a full sized view.)

Day 5:
Rick had to leave but on the way to drop him off at the airport, we went to Antelope Island. I was a little worried that it would be boring but it was our only way to see the Great Salt Lake and how can people visit Utah and not see the lake? It was actually quite fun - but also quite windy because there isn't anything to stop the wind.
We were going to picnic but my family has been living in Kentucky and Texas lately so they are weather wimps and couldn't deal with the wind. Instead, we parked facing the beach and ate lunch packed in the car. Despite the name, six passenger cars aren't really meant for six full size people to comfortable sit in them. It was a nice view though so I won't complain too much.
We didn't have time to hike but Craig and I might go back and do some hiking/camping there later this spring. I would love to spend more time taking pictures there.

We did have time to go to the Fielding Garr ranch on the other side of the island to learn a bit more about the recent history of the island. We saw the ranch house, the cellar (where they actually found old liquor bottles; they must've had some crazy times there!) and the barn. That was neat but we had the most fun trying to rope some "calves." You would think growing up around cows, Craig would have been pretty good at it, but he was awful. The rest of us did okay but I don't think we should quit our jobs just yet.
On our way off the island, we had to stop and collect samples of that salty water, and by "we" I mean my dad, Rick and Craig. Ben and my mom wouldn't get out of the car and I only went to take pictures. We water was slightly disgusting with all the little brine shrimp in it. Yuck.
I was going to stop there but I suppose I should tell the truth about this next part. We had some time to kill before Rick's flight so we went to Starbucks to get some coffee. Then we all left, but a certain item was left behind - my purse. I didn't realize until we had gotten all the way back to Logan. Luckily, someone turned it in and they said they would put it in the safe until I could come back and get it.

Day 6:
Craig had to work so my mom, Ben and I hung out at and watched episodes of "A Baby Story" until my loins hurt then we switched over to decorating shows. My dad went back to SLC to pick up my purse (thanks, Dad!). The sign of a good dad is that he is willing to drive 1.5 hours to pick up a purse, walk through a mall carrying said purse, then drive 1.5 hours back. Since he was down there anyway, he decided to do a little genealogy work so it wasn't all for naught but I still don't think that was quite the way he planned to spend the day. When he got back, we met up with Craig in Idaho and went to some hot springs. It was nice and relaxing.

The next day my parent's left and life returned to normal. Overall, it was a nice vacation.


  1. This may or may not be a related question: Did the parental visit bring about the new total in Craig's swear jar?

  2. Yes, but only because he choose to sing a little "hell song" in the car. I can't remember why but there was a tune involved. And it went up again just now due to an unfortunate incident of bucket filling before making sure the shower/tub switch was on tub, not shower. :-)

  3. Do you want to know what is funny? I have lived here all my life and I have never been to antelope island.